At gap intelligence we are driven to contribute to something bigger than ourselves and we trust that our hard work will turn into something great. One of the ways we look to contribute to the greater good is by giving back to the community. We believe there are 3 ways we can give back:
- We can give our time.
- We can share our talent.
- We can donate our treasure (I hope you read "treasure" with a pirate voice like I do).
As a values-led company we hosted our first blood drive in 2012. We are hosting our 5th annual blood drive this year on Thursday, November 3, 2016, from 10am to 3:30pm. Be sure to keep your eye's peeled for appointment signups on social media in October. If you are wondering why I am promoting our blood drive so early it's because last year I was turned away because donors have to wait 56 days between donations. I am passionate about donating and I do so every eight weeks. I even have an alarm set on my phone to remind me when it's time to make my next appointment. I've learned some valuable tips over the last five years while donating over 3 gallons of my own blood.
Erin Vogelsanger wearing a Blood Drive Sticker
gapper giving a thumbs up at our Blood Drive.
Important Information for Donors
- You must wait at least eight weeks (56 days) between donations of whole blood.
- Always pack your photo ID and bring it with you to your appointment.
- Be sure to eat iron rich foods or take an iron supplement days leading up to your appointment.
- Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Drink at least 16oz extra fluids before donating (non-alcoholic of course).
- Never donate on an empty stomach. Eating a healthy meal before the appointment is important (be sure to avoid fatty foods).
- Short sleeves are best or wear clothing that can be easily raised up past your elbow.
- Speak up and share any info on your preferred arm for donating or a vein that is your go to.
- Did you get a tattoo, body piercing, or travel abroad? Confirm if any of those activities exclude you from donating when making your appointment.
- Snacks are delicious and FREE after donating. Take at least fifteen minutes to munch.
- Be sure to enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling after donating. You just helped save a life!
Lives Depend on It
Donating blood is an easy way to help someone who you will never meet. They could be using your blood in their darkest hour. I like what that does to my karmic circle. Since I am lucky enough to be healthy I believe it is important to help those that are not as lucky. If your health is your greatest wealth donating blood is an extraordinary way to help save a life.
Save the date for our 5th annual blood drive on November 3, 2016, at 2448 Historic Decatur Road. The San Diego Blood Bank's Bloodmobile will be parked right out front of gap intelligence. Herbie the Fighting Hedgehog will be helping check everyone in. If you are a regular donor like myself you will need to donate by September 6, 2016, in order to be able to donate on November 3, 2016. Looking forward to your support. Lives depend on it!
Blood Drive sign.
gappers who donated blood.
Jackson after donating at our 2015 Blood Drive.